How to set up your Instagram widget?
In order to set up your Instagram widget you need following data:
- Client ID
- Access token
- User ID
Please follow this procedure to create your Client ID, Access token and User ID:
Step 01: Getting Client ID
1. Go to the link: Authentication and login with your Instagram account
2. Click on Manage Clients in the upper right corner
3. Click on Register a New Client.
4. Complete the form, here’s a break down of what each field is:
- Application Name: An arbitrary descriptive name for your App (e.g. ‘My Blog’)
- Description: A description of your app or service (e.g. ‘My Personal Blog Website’)
- Website URL: This is the website url for your blog including the protocol (the ‘http://’) at the beginning (e.g. ‘http://www.bold-themes.com’).
- Valid redirect URls: Enter the same url as above.
You are now presented with a Client ID and the Redirect URL – copy and paste these somewhere (or leave the browser window open) as we need them for the next step.
5. Click on Edit Client button, click on Security Tab and uncheck Disable implicit OAuth. Click on Update button.
Step 02: Getting Access token
Use the url below and replace the bits in UPPERCASE with the information you noted earlier on (Client ID and Redirect URL): https://instagram.com/oauth/authorize/?client_id=YOURCLIENTIDHERE&redirect_uri=HTTP://YOURREDIRECTURLHERE.COM&response_type=token&scope=public_content
Paste the updated URL in to your favorite browser and you will be taken to a page on Instagram that says something like, “Hello [Your Name], [Application Name] is requesting to do the following” followed by a list of permissions – click Authorize to enable and retrieve your token.
You should now have been redirect to the URL you set as your Redirect URL (probably your blog). At the end of the URL Instagram has directed you to is your access token as a very long series of letters and numbers. It will almost certainly not all be visible so you’ll need to work a little to get it. We recommend:
Clicking in the address bar of your browser
Hit CTRL + A on the keyboard to ‘Select All’
Hit CTRL + C on the keyboard to ‘Copy‘
Open a text editor such as Notepad and paste the URL there, you should now be presented with something like this: http://www.bold-themes.com/#access_token=856946666.7338417.ffefasgtasg805784be6ab4f24965e79
Everything after the equals sign (=) is your access token so in our case this would be: 856946666.7338417.ffefasgtasg805784be6ab4f24965e79.
NOTE: If you would like to present only images with certain hashtag, then it's not important if you have or haven't User ID. Otherwise, it's necessary to have User ID.
Step 03: Getting User ID
In order to get your User ID, you will first need to have your Access token (instruction for Access Token is above). Once you get it, copy first several numbers (in front of the first dot). Have a look at the following example of Access token:
In this case, User ID will be 856946666. Copy it and paste in the User ID field in BB Instagram Widget.
For more info and detailed instructions please refer to our Online Theme Documentation.